Anthony Joshua will defend his WBA, WBO and IBF against Russian Alexander Povetkin at Wembley Stadium on 22nd September.
The unbeaten Briton returns to the scene of his epic victory over Wladmir Klitschko in April 2017, which drew a post-war attendance record of 90,000 fans, to face his mandatory WBA challenger.
Joshua was last in action in March, defeating New Zealand’s Joseph Parker in aheavyweight unification clash to add the WBO title to his WBA and IBF belts. The victory, the first time he has been taken the distance, extended his flawless record to 21 successive wins.
“I can’t wait to get back in the ring, the end of March feels a long time ago now,” said Joshua.
“Povetkin is a serious challenge that I will prepare meticulously for. He has serious pedigree and only a fool would underestimate what he brings to the table.
“Training hasn’t stopped for me, but the next 10 weeks ahead will be intense both mentally and physically. I will push myself to breaking point to make sure I am in peak condition for another huge night for British boxing at Wembley Stadium on September 22nd.”
Joshua had been in negotiations for a fight with WBC champion Deontay Wilder for the chance to become undisputed champion, however that fight may now have to wait until 2019. Povetkin, who has a 34-1 record, was last in action on the undercard for Joshua-Parker, knocking out Liverpool’s David Price in the 5th round. Like Joshua, he is an Olympic gold medallist and is confident of dethroning the champion.
He said: “The battle for the world title has always been my goal,” said Povetkin. “I fought for the moment to face the strongest in the world and on September 22 I get my opportunity.
“Anthony Joshua has four belts and I want them all. I’m glad that our fight will finally take place, the meeting of two Olympic champions in the ring is destined to be a breath-taking event.”
Author: Harry Diamond | LinkedIn
Open this in UX Builder to add and edit content